Metabolism is an umbrella term under which all sorts of chemical reactions that take place in your body fall. Having a high metabolic rate makes you feel better. If you experience symptoms like nausea, heartburn, constipation, you must be sure that you are having indigestion.
You must follow some specific guidelines that may help you to boost up your digestive system. Below are tips that will help you to increase your metabolism and digestive power.
What Is Metabolism?
Metabolism is used to describe the method of conversion of food into energy. This energy, in turn, helps you to work and makes the organs function correctly. Having proper metabolism, which is called a fast metabolism, allows you to utilise your calorie instantly.
Slower metabolism slows down the entire process. Below are five tips that you can follow at home to have a fast metabolism in your body.
Five Tips To Increase Metabolism At Home
Five tips to increase metabolism at home are:
#1. Eat more protein
- If you consume more protein, it will increase your metabolism when you burn the calories.
- Having protein helps you improve metabolism within some hours.
- This effect of instant production of energy is called the TEF or Thermic Effect of Food.
- Protein is the best source of food that increases the TEF to the furthest. It can improve the rate of metabolism by 15-30%, instead of carbs, which can do it by 5-10%.
- Consuming protein prevents you from overeating, helping you to have a proper balance of metabolism.
- Having protein in a more significant amount reduces drop-in metabolism, which happens due to losing fat.
#2. Go for proper workouts and lift heavy things
- Adding some of the high-intensity workouts to your daily routine helps in increasing your metabolism.
- It not only burns the fat out but also boosts up your metabolic rate once you have finished your exercise.
- A good 12 weeks of high-intensity exercise helps in the reduction of fat by 2kilos.
- Though exercises are good but lifting weights is much more effective. It not only retains the muscle but increases the metabolism due to it.
- If you use your muscle more, the metabolic rate increases more actively than it increases with food.
- By using your muscles more, you can burn more calories every day.
- Lifting weight will also reduce the drop in metabolism that happens due to weight loss.
#3. Drink Tea
- If you drink oolong tea or green tea more, you can increase your metabolism to a great extent.
- Some researchers inferred that both the teas do not affect metabolism still many trusts and find them suitable for increasing metabolism.
- A 4-5% increment in metabolism is seen after having oolong or green tea.
- Not only does oolong tea and green tea speed up your metabolism, but it also reduces stored fat in your body. It converts the fat into fatty acids, which burns the fat by 10-17%.
#4. Do have coffee
- Drinking coffee positively increases the metabolism of your body.
- Certain studies have shown that the presence of caffeine in coffee boosts the metabolic power by 3-11%.
- Coffee also stimulates fat burning.
- With proper metabolism, fat burning becomes more accessible, and coffee acts as a catalyst in this process.
#5. Have a proper sleep
- If you do not have proper sleep, there is a decrease in the calories burnt out.
- Improper sleep also disrupts the regular functioning of sugar break down and different enzymes.
- Lack of sleep also increases the probability of obesity.
- The metabolism rate fluctuates due to sleep, which may cause a negative effect.
- Improper sleep also increases blood sugar levels, which creates risks of developing type 2 diabetes.
What Is Digestion?
Digestion may be called the simplification of large and indissoluble food units into small and dissolvable food molecules that can get absorbed by the blood. Digestion is the preliminary process that distributes energy in the body.
Five Tips To Increase Digestion At Home
Five tips to increase digestion at home are:
#1. Consume Real Food
If you have more processed foods, it risks the chances of digestive disorder more. Having simple food not only improves your digestion at home but also reduces the intake of trans fats and artificial tastemakers. The illusive food or eating styles which you should leave for a healthy digestive system are:
Types of Diet
Refined carbs are responsible for a digestive disorder.
Increases chances of bowel diseases.
Increases gut bacteria.
#2. Increase Fibre Intake
Fibres are always a well known and good option which helps to keep the digestive system in order. Proper fibre intake is one of the excellent home remedies for digestion problems. It promotes an appropriate movement of the bowel in the body. Three types of fibre are commonly there, which is essential for the human body. They are:
- Soluble fibre
- Insoluble fibre
Types Of Fibre
Adds volume to your stool and absorbs water.
Oat bran, nuts, seeds, and legumes.
Helps to keep everything in the digestive channel to be in motion.
Whole grains, wheat bran, and vegetables.
Acts as food for healthy gut bacteria
Fruits, vegetables, and grains.
A proper diet should have adequate fibre, which reduces the risk of deterioration of digestive conditions. The disorders that fibre can combat are ulcers, haemorrhoids, reflux, diverticulitis, and IBS.
#3. Increase Fluid Intake
If you do not stay hydrated, you will undoubtedly face constipation. Drinking less fluid results in constipation. It would be best if you stay hydrated to keep your digestive tract functioning by avoiding caffeinated beverages. Instead, you can have plain water or fruit drinks containing zero artificial sweeteners.
One of the prevalent home remedies for an upset stomach is to stay hydrated. Some of the ways are:
- Drink 1.5 to 2 litres of non-caffeinated fluid every day. You may need more if you stay in warmer places.
- You can have herbal teas as a substitute for other beverages.
- You can have citrus fruits and vegetables which have a high water content in them. Some of them are cucumber, zucchini, celery, tomatoes, melons, strawberries, grapes, peaches, and many more.
#4. Increase Good Fat Intake
Proper intake of fats enhances the process of digestion. It only satiates your taste bud but also helps in the absorption of nutrients. The omega-3 fatty acid is one of the beneficial fats that are good for your digestion.
The Functions of Omega-3
Sources of Omega-3
Lessens the chance of ulcerative colitis.
Flaxseeds, nuts, fatty fish like sardines, mackerel, salmon.
#5. Have your food mindfully
Eating food mindfully is one of the common home remedies for digestion. You may develop gastric problems and indigestion if you do not eat mindfully. To eat mindfully, you should:
- Have your food slowly.
- Have your focus on the food instead of your phone.
- Concentrate on the smell, taste, and look of your food.
- Have each bite consciously.
You must follow the tips above to increase the metabolism and digestion of your body at home. If you do not have a properly functioning digestive system, the metabolism of your body gets hampered.
Try to adopt specific strategies that are handy and possible at home. Proper metabolism and digestion are critical to a healthy life.