An unhealthy diet and low lifestyle have resulted in several health problems like bloated tummy, aching stomach, or indigestion. Here we will suggest improving digestion naturally at home, along with suggestive food that help-in digestion.
What is digestion?
Digestion is a process of breaking down the large insoluble food molecules that we intake into small water-soluble food molecules with the help of digestive enzymes for our body to absorb. The nutrients absorbed by the body are used in generating energy, growth, and cell repair. The critical components of digestion are Mouth, Oesophagus, Stomach, Small intestine, Large intestine, and Accessory organs like the Liver, Gallbladder.
How to improve digestion naturally?
You need to intake the right foods to improve digestion. A healthy diet with regular exercise keeps your body healthy and protects from certain long term diseases. Foods containing trans fats are associated with inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis. Most processed foods that may include a low-calorie drink, an ice cream, a typical Western diet, and food additives cause digestive problems.
- Avoid consuming processed foods and, instead, go for a high fibre diet and healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids.
- Consume prebiotics containing foods to improve gut problems.
- It is recommended to intake 1.5 to 2 L of water daily to prevent digestive problems like constipation.
- Eat fermented and cultured foods to improve digestion naturally. But with severe gut disorders, go slow with these foods.
- Practice mindful eating, properly chewing your food, managing your stress, regular exercises, and overcome bad habits like smoking, consuming alcohol, or late-night eating.
- Consume gut-friendly foods to improve digestion; this may include foods with probiotics, glutamine, and zinc.
It is necessary for maintaining a healthy diet to improve digestion.
Foods good for digestion and Bloating
A digestive problem may include bloating, gas, diarrhoea, constipation, vomiting, nausea, and heartburn. Here is a suggestion of seven food items to improve digestion.
#1. Whole grains – This includes brown rice, oats, or whole wheat bread, that are rich in fibre. Whole grains contain fibers, which is beneficial for treating indigestion and promotes good bowel movement. But if you are intolerant to gluten, then try avoiding these grains.
Image Source: Unsplash
Image Source: Unsplash
- Kimchi – This food is good for digestion. This dish is made with radish, cabbage, onions, and a variety of spices. The cabbage improves colon health by enhancing the growth of healthy bacteria and regulates bowel movement.
- Indian diet – You can consume the below listed Indian diet to improve digestion.
- Lassi or Buttermilk
- Indian Cheese or Paneer
These are the best food items for digestion and strengthening the gut lining. They contain healthy bacterias, nutrients, and vitamins.
- Fish oil – This reduces inflammation in the intestine, facilities proper bowel movement, and maintains good intestinal health.
Some of the foods that improve fat digestion are – Chicory Root, Dandelion Greens, Garlic, Onions, Asparagus, Barley, Oats, and Flaxseeds. Eat potassium-rich foods to reduce bloating quickly.
Certain drinks offer a digestion problem solution. These are –
- The right amount of Water. Lemon water. Hot Water.
- Kombucha, a sweetened tea rich in probiotics, is made by fermenting yeasts and bacterias.
- Herbal Tea, like Peppermint Tea, Fennel Tea, Ginger Tea, or Lemongrass Tea.
Companies like Teatox Life provide herbal tea products that help to improve digestion and reduce acidity. Here are some of the examples.
Procedure for making tea
Constipation & Bloating Relief Digestion Support
Green Tea Slimming Weight loss Evening Tea
Green Tea with Ginger, Tulsi, Cinnamon, and Lemon
What helps digestion after eating?
Follow the lists to maintain proper digestion after consuming a large meal.
#1. Take a short walk.
#2. Relax and de-stress yourself
#3. Drink 4-8 ounce of Water
#4. Take probiotics containing foods to improve digestion like yogurt.
#5. Plan your next meal to avoid over-consumption of food.
Digestion is an essential mechanism in the human body that prevents you from several diseases. Always consume the best foods to improve digestion. Visit a doctor if you face severe digestive problems and ask him to suggest foods to eat to improve digestion. You can also consult a dietitian who will look into your health reports and provide a diet chart accordingly.