Pregnancy has its merits and struggles too! There are a lot of changes that your body goes through during this stage. Constantly feeling tired, bloating and burping can occur before and after you consume food. Unless it causes too much pain that crosses your threshold, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
The main reason for gastric ulcer is the hormone progesterone which slows down the functioning of your digestive muscles. Although it becomes difficult to get rid of and as the hormonal changes and the growing baby is responsible for it, however, you can still make valid changes in your diet. Here are a few things that can help you with better digestion during pregnancy.
How to improve digestion during pregnancy?
- What to eat?
Whatever you eat, make sure you eat it in small amounts! Instead of eating a heavy meal all at once, divide the dish into 4-5 servings.
- Even during breakfast, make sure you keep some crackers, biscuits, or dry fruits. These meals are going to prevent you from bloating and discomfort.
- Also, get yourself hydrated! Your baby is pushing against your digestive tracts, and hence the bowel movements are usually slow during pregnancy. However, by infusing a lot of water in your digestive tracts, the gases and stools will pass without causing pain.
- With water, make sure you consume a lot of fibres. The best sources of fibre are vegetables, cereals, fruits, etc. You may eat them cooked and boiled or have them raw in salads. These are some foods that will help in improving digestion during pregnancy.
- No matter how much you love it, kindly stay away from your favourite coffee and chocolates. Spicy and fatty foods can also increase the intensity of your heartburns during pregnancy.
- Berries are also a good choice. They are filled with vitamin C and antioxidants, which constitute a rich amount of fibres and water. You can have them in the form of juices and smoothies that make them all the more delicious.
Digestion during pregnancy has one solution, and that is EXERCISE! Though it sounds difficult as you might already be tired of the unending backaches. However, a mild exercise for almost 30 minutes daily will relax you. They encourage your digestive system and stimulate easier bowel movements. We would suggest you consult your gynaecologist as to what exercises may suit your posture. However, we have listed below a few exercises that you can try during your pregnancy:
Helps you to calm your body and cope up with mood swings and stress which are very normal during these stages. There are many classes for prenatal yoga.
Light exercises are one safe way. Some women in their first trimester also work out with weights. They are safe, and you can stop if they get too heavy for you. This can help you to reduce the formation of gases, and the exertion will push out the waste from your body.
Brisk walking (or walking at your comfortable speed)
Helps in aiding your gastric ulcers
Can also benefit you as it provides exercise to your entire body
However, if you are pregnant with twins, triplets, or more, we suggest you consult your gynaecologist or trainer before you start with simple exercises too.
- Try some home remedies!
If you are tired of antacids and heap of tablets for acidity, you may know there are also many home remedies for curing digestion & acidity problems during pregnancy. Here are some things you can do right around the corner of your house.
- You need to avoid clothes that put pressure on your belly. How insane it sounds, your clothes when tight obstruct food to pass down in your body. A pair of jeans tight in your waist is not going to solve your constipation problem.
- The dahi and ghee in your kitchen is a homely solution for indigestion. Having some after and before the meal is going to help you cure bloating.
- Ginger and apple cider vinegar (separately) are also used as remedies for heartburn. You can add the grated ginger or vinegar to a glass of warm water; it will help you solve nausea.
Note: Do not consume the ginger in excess! It is a spice, and it may produce a lot of heat in your body.
- Most importantly, after you eat anything, avoid lying down at the very next moment. Have a light stroll! This aids in the process of digestion to start and function properly.
- As the rightful Ayurveda says, fennel seeds are used for fast digestion during pregnancy. You can eat them after your meals, or you can add a teaspoon or two to a cup of water and boil it. This is a traditional saunf tea. This also is an effective remedy to cure heat burns, and it functions on the gastrointestinal tract, improving its health.